Pre-diabetic state is the one where the blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be called diabetic. A pre-diabetic person will become diabetic within 10-years if he ignores. Though the pre-diabetic blood sugar level is less than diabetic, but the harmful changes in heart and blood vessels will happen, if no remedial actions are taken.
Pre-diabetes often does not present with any symptoms.
A person should be tested if any of the following factors are present:
- Family history of diabetes
- If the person has high blood pressure
- If the person becomes tired with minimal physical activity
- The person is overweight
- If the person has polycystic ovary
- If the person delivers a baby more than 9 lbs (4.1kg)
- If the person has history of gestational diabetes
- If the person has high cholesterol levels where HDL is less than 35mg/dL and LDL is more than 250mg/dL
Tests to diagnose pre-diabetes:
- HbA1C between 6-6.5
- Fasting glucose levels between 100-125mg/dL
- 2-hours glucose tolerance test values between 140-199 mg/dL
The good news about Pre-diabetes is that ‘IT IS REVERSIBLE’.
How to reverse Pre-diabetes?
- Reduce the weight by 15%
- Eat the right food at right time
- Do exercises to increase the glucose utilization by muscles
Total Rehab Diabetes control program includes:
- Advice on right diet
- Diabetic specific exercises
- Stimulation of muscles to the threshold level where its glucose uptake from blood is increased.
- Exercises to improve insulin sensitivity and activate pancreas to secrete insulin.